Saturday, December 16, 2017

Hello again

As is obvious, this blog has been inactive for six years, since the time when Blogger basically throw the Althouse blog off this platform. But I wouldn't even remember that if I hadn't blogged about it then.

In the interim, I've been more active on social media such as Facebook and Twitter. But each of those platforms are seriously limited in the ability to discuss complex ideas. And, truth be told, there aren't many simple ideas that need public discussion. The current recitation of jargon over net neutrality, with virtually no comprehension of the underlying ideas (pro or con) reminded me of that once again.

At the same time, I heard a very intelligent person try to simplify another complicated issue last week, treating it as if opposition to his position was infantile. As usual, there isn't any simple, 140-character-or-less refutation, because the entire issue can only be discussed that simplistically if you take the view that the other side has nothing to say for it. But, with the possible exception of Donald Trump's inability to tell the truth (which isn't, in and of itself, a political issue), political issues aren't that simplistic.

With that in mind, I decided to restart this blog. At some time, I'll probably discuss events of the past six-and-a-half years. Or I may not. But, whatever I type, I hope will stick around longer than the average social media post. And we'll be back to discuss net neutrality. starting with the amazing growth of fiber-optic networks in the US, shortly.

No comments:

A rambling, sometimes coherent site of observations about all the news fit to print ... or maybe not fit to print.